Recovery Mode

Last week I was talking to my friend Rosamond and we were discussing how we are trying to "grow up" on the subject of our birthdays and, specifically, how we handle them *read:  lower expectations so as not to be devastated*.  I don't know what is wrong with me but some years I have worked my expectations up so high, even without realizing it, and then been acutely aware of the feeling of being let down when the truth is the day was wonderful.  Ugh! Growing pains.

About a month ago I caught myself in a similar mode thinking I was 8 years old and needed a big party.  The Chef was like, "Uh, are you sure you wanna do that?  I mean we can do it, but do you really think that's the way you want to spend that weekend...planning for a big ol' party?"  Well of course I hadn't really thought it over too much.  I was already at the party in my mind, don't you know? (she says shaking her head).  Aneeway. Shortly after this grand idea of mine, the Chef and I had the perfect poolside lunch at a boutique hotel in LA.  I told him that rather than being a control freak I'd leave it up to him (to the best of my ability) and back off.  All I really wanted was for my BFF of 10 years to come to town for cake.

I can honestly say, without a doubt, that my birthday this past weekend was the best I have ever had in my life.  It was filled with great food, tons of laughs, a few crazy mishaps and, most importantly, some of my closest friends.  I really do feel like crying as I'm typing these words because it was far more than I ever could have hoped for - or thought of - and I will always remember it.

The Chef made Lemon Ricotta Pancakes with sprinkled sugar and fresh raspberries
for breakfast...thanks for the idea Nikki!
 Then the doorbell started ringing and surprises started showing up.
This is one from my brother and his family...so many yummy specialty chocolates!
 Milijana sent me this wonderful gift all the way from Australia!
The bird is a beautiful dinner bell.  I love it!!
After we picked up my BFF at the airport we checked into our hotel and opened some prezzies!
And later met up with another of our friends for dinner at AOC, a favorite spot.
The next day we lounged poolside over great lunch.
Dipped our feet and relaxed.
With yummy frozen snacks in the warm sun.
The rest of the weekend was filled with more fave food.
Warm beach days.
My favorite World Class Chocolate Ice Cream Cake.
 This movie, after which I realized I want to be Evelyn Salt, 
run up walls and kick heads off. I guess I really am growing up.  Haha!
Mad laughs with the BFF...the first friend I made in the US.
A friend sandwich over even more wonderful food.
And then a sad "see ya next time".  Sigh.  It all went by so fast.

I didn't even include half of the stuff that went on or my other friend who drove over 2 hours just to bring me a card and give it to me face to face.  The things we were able to do made my birthday fun, but it was being in the company of some of my favorite people that made it memorable and heartwarming and a day I'll never forget.  I owe a major shout out and x's and o's to infinity to the Chef who made the entire weekend more than I ever could have on my own.  So much love to him!!

Thanks to all of you for sticking with me during my time away from the blog.  Your birthday wishes added so much to my day and I can't wait to go back and re-read your messages.  Normal posts to resume this week...and I'm looking forward to getting caught up on all your blogs.:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Post