Softened Military Chic

The other day when I was getting trampled at Target (gee this seems to be the theme of the blog this week.  sorry about that!) the cutest dress called out to me pleading for a try-on.  When I went into the fitting room I never imagined coming out with the dress, but once it was on all I could imagine was wearing it with this amazing military blazer that followed me home from Zara last year *read:  I called 700 Zara locations to track it down after I saw Olivia Palermo wearing it - guilty admission and new excuse:  Olivia Palermo made me do it*.   I've opened the closet so many times recently and pictured outfit upon outfit with the blazer, but then something happens and it doesn't get worn.  Cut to this past weekend when it was picture perfect fall weather - warm enough for a dress, but not without a light jacket - and here we are!  Fall is great for many reasons, but one of my favorites is that the season allows for late summer attire with a hint of cool weather to come.  It provides moments when we can stand still and enjoy the moment, but also glance back and remember all the fun we had - while still looking forward to great things headed our way (aka pumpkin pie, apple turnovers, and turkey with stuffing...yep I'm hungry).

When I think of the current military trend my mind immediately goes to olive tones.  But recently I've begun to reshape my thinking and remind myself of the military-esque pieces I already own that come in varying shades of black, grey and khaki - as well different styles.  I'm doing my best to shop my closet, so look for these to appear in upcoming posts.  In the meantime here we go with Olivia's my blazer and new little Target find.  Who knew??

The gold buttons and white piping add perfect attention to detail. 
Note to self:  lint roll the blazer before taking pictures in order to get better closeups.
The high collar on the jacket compliments the neck while the ruffles
and color of the dress soften the overall look.  Kismet!
The military detailing continues on the shoulders and back of the jacket.
 While the sheer skirt part of the dress keeps the outfit flowy and feminine.
It literally blew softly in the breeze that evening.  Swoon!
I wore my ruffled Steve Madden's because I liked the compliment of the wooden heel, 
but I might try it with these zip booties the Chef got me for Valentine's Day a couple years ago.
Ballerina girl...oh Lionel Richie!  Why didn't I say hello to you that time in Theory? 

I grew up at Gap, then graduated to Nordstrom and occasionally took a class or two at Barneys and Saks.  A couple of years ago I went through a boutique phase where I didn't really shop in malls or at traditional retailers (except Martin+Osa RIP I'll never recover) - but within the past year or so it's been hard not to notice the great things that Target is doing with women's apparel.  To me, true style means finding things you love everywhere - flea markets, swap meets, big box retailers, the bf's closet, and all the fancy places as well.  How about you?

Outfit details:  Zara - Blazer, Target - Dress, Steve Madden - Shoes, J.Crew - Ring

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Post