Spicy Noodle Bowl

Earlier this week when I woke up with a burning sore throat all I could think of was "can't swallow" and "want my mom".  Pathetic?  Yes - but also true.  When I was a kid and started to get those dreaded achy bones my mom always kept me home from school, bundled me up in a sleeping bag blanket (blankets folded in half so you feel like it's a sleeping bag - oh childhood) on the couch, and brought all kinds of warm things to drink while I snoozed the day away.  Now that I'm an adult pretty much the only thing that's remained consistent in the under-the-weather scenario is me snoozing the day away - deliriously hoping a cup of tea appears by my bedside

Thankfully the Chef came to the rescue this time and showed up in my doorway with a cup of tea.  Before I knew it there was rattling in the kitchen and, shortly thereafter, a wonderful smell wafted down the hallway and into my room.  Somewhere in my delusion I had croaked the words "noodle soup" when he asked if there was anything I wanted.  Something tells me I likely whined out "my mom", too.  Normally I would have expected chicken noodle, but in this case a spicy Asian-style soup appeared.  It did the trick, too - probably the combo of the spices and the new noodle bowls my mom got me for Christmas. 

Cool, huh?  I'm totally turning into a kitchen nerd.

And so I share the recipe with you - it's a total fave because it's gluten-free, super healthy, low-cal and easy to make.  You don't have to add the peppers if you prefer a milder version. 

Spicy Noodle Bowl
*Broth Ingredients

1/2 onion sliced
1   carrot sliced
1   stalk celery sliced
1   stalk lemongrass sliced
2oz. ginger sliced
6   clove garlic crushed
1   bunch cilantro stems only
3T Soy or Tamari (I use Tamari because it is gluten-free)
2t  Siracha (or more if you want spicy)
Water - to cover

 ~sliced broth ingredients~

Place all items in pot and cover with water. Bring to boil and simmer for 30 min.  Strain and hold warm.

 
~simmering for broth~

*Garnish Ingredients
1/2C bay shrimp defrosted
1/4C ea sliced fine: carrot, celery, scallion, radish
1ea  Serrano or 3 Thai bird chili sliced
1/4  bunch cilantro leaves
1/4C broccoli florets
1/2 C rice noodles (pre-cook to package directions)

 ~Let the assembling begin~

To Finish
 
 Place desired amount of each item in bowl -
beginning with noodles at the very bottom.
 Bring broth back up to boil, and pour over top.
 The heat of the broth will warm everything.
 ~Finished Product~

Variations:
*Sub tofu, beef, or chicken for shrimp.
*Add basil, mint, napa cabbage, mushrooms, daikon, Bok-choy, soba noodles, or any other similar item you like.


All I have to say is yum-my!  I'm feeling much better and we ate this for lunch again today - you know, for safe measure - ha!  Let us know if you try it - it's always great to get your thoughts. And now everyone, the weekend is upon us (yahoo!!) - before I go I just want to remind you that:
Oh - and have a great weekend, too!!  Any plans? I'm hoping to take in The King's Speech - has anyone seen it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Post