Double Chocolate Crumble Bars

Here's a tale for you:  for three days I have been unable to get these dessert bars out of my mind.  At Christmas (yes it's been raining so every morning I wake up feeling like I should plug in the Christmas tree.  In May) these are amongst the first things I request from my mom.  The reason I ask her to make them rather than making on my own?  Taste them for yourself and realize how difficult it is to keep from devouring the entire pan...within a day.  Guilty pleasure!

Yesterday afternoon, after much internal struggle, I fall off the wagon and decide come hell or high water I'm making these things, tasting a row and then giving the remainder away.  Just enough to satisfy the craving - you know how it is, right?.  There I was in the kitchen up to my elbows in chocolate, peanut butter and rice krispies.  It was Thursday, one work day left and all was right in the world.  I set the tray out to cool, laid down on the couch and prepared to relax for 15 minutes.  Cut to scene where I wake up an hour later to find the cat has decided she wouldn't mind giving these a sample either.  True story.  Have you ever seen a cat try to swallow peanut butter and chocolate?  Think "licking chops" for 2 hours. It's a lot more amusing today than it was last night - although I did have a giggle or two.

Let's just say this morning involved a re-do.  And so without any further ado I present to you - The Double Chocolate Crumble Bar.  Prepare for greatness and keep away from cats.


Double Chocolate Crumble Bar
Ingredients
1/2 C  margarine
3/4 C  sugar
2         eggs
1t        vanilla
3/4 C   flour (gluten-free blend listed here if you need it)
1/2 C   pecans, chopped
2T      cocoa
1/4t     baking powder
1/4t     salt
1 - 6oz. pkg. chocolate chips
1 C      peanut butter
1 1/2 C rice krispies
2 C      mini marshmallows

Directions
Cream margarine and sugar; beat in eggs and vanilla.
Stir together nuts and dry ingredients.
Stir into egg mixture.
Spread into bottom of greased 13x9x2'' pan.
Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
Remove from oven and sprinkle mini marshmallows evenly on top.  Bake for 3 minutes.
Melt peanut butter and chocolate chips over low heat.
Stir in rice krispies.
Spread on top of cooled bars.  Chill and serve.  Keep away from cats.

Have a great weekend everyone!  What's on your agenda?  I'm going to try to conquer the closets.  If you don't hear from me on Monday send a search and rescue team.  Lord knows the Chef won't be checking in...all the booths are installed in the restaurant and it's full steam ahead.  Woo Hoo!! Will try to sneak in there and get some pictures to share for next week.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Post