DIY Hair Post - The Bun

Let me begin by saying I'm pretty nervous to do this post.  I've never done one before, I'm flattered that so many of you have asked for it, and I hope these directions display just how easy it is to pull off this twisty bun *that my niece calls "the pom-pom" - love her!!*

Please bear in mind that it was 105 degrees outside and 437 degrees in the Chef's bathroom when we took the pictures for this step-by-step on Sunday.  The temperature has currently dropped to 398 degrees on Monday evening and I have spent far too much time eating heavy quantities of orange popsicles after mowing down mad amounts of amazing sushi with two of my best friends who are visiting from out of town.  This summer in fall thing is something I could totally get used to.  I haven't thought of one single thing I neeeeeed for fall in at least 5 days and my wallet is in heaven!  Woo hoooo!!

This twisty bun is my go-to, I can't take anymore heat or fussing hairdo.  Following are the steps I take to make it happen:

I have fine hair, but a lot of it and it has a natural wave to it.
I enhance the wave by adding Bumble and Bumble styling creme and 
scrunching the hair as I lightly blow dry it so it has a bit more volume.
More volume will result in a bun that is more full.

Once the hair is dry I gather it on top of my head approximately
where I would want the bun to sit once it is complete.
During this stage I rake my fingers through the waves/curls in front and on
top of my head to get a bit of lift in front.

You probably couldn't tell, but I had a thick ponytail holder on my wrist 
that I flip over for easy access onto my hair.  
I begin by proceeding as if I'm going to put a high
ponytail atop my head.  

I have a lot of hair so I only have to wrap it twice around.  The goal is for it to be
a bit snug, but not too tight because you have to leave room 
for all your hair to rest inside it at the end.

Here is where you flip what would be a regular ponytail to the front, BUT
you don't pull it all the way through.  The hair has gone through the ponytail 
holder twice and is now being flipped to the front like so:

See how I've swiveled the remaining length of the hair to the front 
and am essentially reversing a ponytail that has not been pulled 
all the way through.  
Next you determine how full you want the bun to be by how much hair
you have or want to pull through.  

I like a poofy bun, but I also have a lot of hair. 
See how there's a degree of fullness to the bun itself, 
and the ends of my hair are resting
in front atop my head.  
Here's another shot that's straight on so you can get a 
better sense of the volume in the bun and ends left over.
Next I take the ends and basically divide them in half, wrapping
them around to the back at the base of the bun like so:

Sometimes I have shorter lengths that I let rest like a little nest in front.
I'm a fan of the messy, poofy bun because it's very carefree
and I don't have to worry about any hairs escaping and looking a mess 
throughout the day.

Finally, if I'm able to, I tuck some of the ends up into the bun -
especially if it's come loose - and then secure the long ends with 
bobby pins in the back toward the base of my neck, but leaving
some loose curly pieces hanging in the back.

Because there was a heat wave outside and in the bathroom we completely 
forgot to get a front picture of the finished result for a finale shot.  Oops!!
You can however see it a little here in yesterday's post because this
is the hair I wore out a short time after we took the pictures.

Or here is another classic example of how it turns out:
Sorry this isn't a closer picture, but you get the basic idea.

You can also see closer versions of the bun here, here, here and here.  I hope this DIY portrays how quick this hair can be.  Often I roll out of bed after a nap or the next morning, toss it up like so and go.  It is my hair saving solution!!

Happy Tuesday everyone.  Hope we don't melt today in SoCal!  It was 113 degrees in LA and 111 at my place near the beach yesterday.  Crazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Post