You Can Ring My Bell (Bottoms)

When I think of bell bottoms my mind immediately fills with images of Farrah Fawcett in a form fitting track jacket a little more than half-zipped up and slightly high-waisted bell bottom denim with cute sneakers peeking out from beneath.  Suddenly a new image pops up with her in a blousy peasant top tucked into the waist of her bell bottoms - I can't see her shoes because the bells cover them perfectly but I sense they are wedges.  Then I'm blinded by her amazing feathered hair and bright contagious smile and I'm back in Charlie's Angels land...sigh.

But back to this post.

I'm a huge fan of bell bottoms - they take me back to my wee days when my way older and very fashionable teenage cousins were prancing around with the extreme bells and patchwork suede bags, while posters of the Bay City Rollers took up every square inch of their bedroom walls.  *I was "allowed" in those sacred places if I didn't touch too much or tell my mom anything I overheard, and they would paint my finger nails and give me their leftover junk to take home which was well-worth the rules!*  For months I have had been waiting to find just the right pair for me.  J Brand's Lovestory bell bottoms called out, but upon closer examination I didn't love the wide hem at bottom.  One day before wallet restriction set in I strolled into my neighborhood Gap and stumbled upon their Vintage Flare Jeans.  My trip to the fitting room was filled with jumping up and down and maybe a shriek or two because they are made from a super soft denim with just the right amount of stretch, have a normal hem at bottom and fit perfectly - snug in the leg to the knee and then moving into a nice bell landing just over my shoes at bottom allowing for the perfect bit of swish when I walk on by!

Despite the fact that it was 108 degrees at noon this past Sunday, we opted to go ahead with these outfit pictures.  Hence no necklace or bangles because they may have melted right onto my skin.  It was insanity!

I had fully intended to wear the jeans with my own track jacket
and sneakers, but 100+ temps = no dice.
Instead I opted for this peasant inspired linen tank. The print on
the top coupled with it's billowy flow gave it just the
right amount of boho-chic.
My cousin's patchwork suede hand-me-down bag is long gone.
aka massive loss.  (moment of silence please *sniff*)
Instead let's focus on how the denim fits snugly to the knee 
before flaring over the shoe.
Here's a close-up.  When I walk the denim maintains the perfect length
showing just a hint of, in this case, my cloxfords (previously seen here).
This gives another example of the leg of the denim which easily
rests just over the tip of the shoe in ultimate bell bottom perfection.
These jeans are not high-waisted, but still maintain the overall 
effect.  That being said, it would be great to find
a vintage pair that could showcase a high waist and a crazy belt 
with a flowy top tucked in.  Le dream!

How about you ladies?  Are you a fan of the bell bottom or are some things better left in the past?

Outfit details:  Free People - Linen Tank/Blouse, Gap - Denim, Steve Madden - Cloxfords, Foley + Corinna - handbag, Target - Sunnies, Green Ring - Nordstrom

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Post